Enrichment is an important part of daily life at Briar Hill Primary School.
Pupils have the opportunity to choose from a range of extra-curricular activities.
Enrichment is a key driver for both Briar Hill Primary and our academy sponsor – David Ross Education Trust. We provide a broad range of enrichment opportunities - focussed around Sports, the Arts and Culture - as we firmly believe that these opportunities have a number of benefits for our pupils, both academically and personally by broadening their life experiences.
As a David Ross Education Trust academy, we believe that enrichment can help to raise academic standards, enhance performance and teach life skills that will equip our pupils for an ever-changing world.
Primary enrichment gives students the chance to participate in activities that supplement learning and enable them to broaden their skills and experiences, identify talent and enhance it.
Here is the Enrichment curriculum for 2023-2024 and are offering over 20 lunchtime and after-school clubs and activities.
Activities include visual and performing arts, including dance, drama and music. There is also a focus on art, sport, outward bound and developing life skills. Our twitter feed below showcases some of the wonderful enrichment opportunities recently and please click here to see some examples of enrichment.
Here is an example of some of the excellent Enrichment opportunities with some Year 6 children contributing to the David Ross Education Trust Christmas Carol concert and our own Concert at School.
What sort of skills does enrichment teach?
- Determination to succeed
- Winning and losing with grace
- Respect for others
- Confidence in yourself
- A sense of fun and enjoyment
- Focus and attitude
- Health benefits
Academies across the Trust are encouraged to work collaboratively to make the most of the opportunities on offer.
Partnerships with Theatre:
Over the past few years Briar Hill Primary School and other DRET Northamptonshire schools, have been developing their partnership with the The Royal & Derngate Theatre and The Corby Cube. This has included workshops within our schools, participating in the Shakespeare Schools Festivals, participating in DRET Music Festivals and working with the Northern Ballet.
Highlights from last year include:
- All Star Choir at Neville Holt
- Participation in the Shakespeare Schools Festival
- Partnership with The Royal & Derngate Theatre and The Corby Cube
- BBC Radio Northampton
- All Star Choir Performed around the country
- Primary and Secondary Cup
- Debate Competition with University of Northampton
- Performance from a String Quartet
- Life Education and Waste Bus
- Author Visit
Our most recent opportunities include:
- University of Nottingham Visit
- University of Warwick Visits to school
- Kingswood Residential
- Grendon Outdoor Learning Centre
- Neville Holt Farm: A working farm available to our schools for day trips or camping overnight
- Artist in Residence